Surrey Safeguarding Children Board (SSCB) – Who we are and our role
Surrey Safeguarding Children Board (SSCB) was established in April 2006 and is chaired by an independent chair, Claire Burgess, who is independent of any organisation working within Surrey. Claire was appointed to the SSCB in December 2017.
The board is made up of all organisations who work to safeguard children and young people in Surrey including Surrey County Council, Surrey Police, the NHS and schools.
It has a number of multi agency sub groups and work to deliver the board’s statutory responsibilities and local priorities. Take a look at our leaflet
You can also download our poster.
The SSCB is the key statutory mechanism for agreeing how the relevant organisations in Surrey will cooperate to safeguard and promote the welfare of children and ensure the effectiveness of what they do and provide strategic oversight.
Take a look at our SSCB Presentation – Role of Board (Jan 2018)
The objectives of the SSCB as set down in ‘Working together to Safeguard Children 2015’ are:
- to coordinate what is done by each person or body represented on the board for the purposes of safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children in their area; and
- ensure the effectiveness of what is done by each such person or body for that purpose.
This entails a wide range of responsibilities across the Surrey area including:
- establishing and monitoring thresholds for the provision of services by partner agencies
- developing policies and procedures
- commissioning and evaluating single and multi-agency training
- establishing specific, local protocols to reflect local priorities
- communicating and raising awareness
- monitoring and evaluating the activities of partners through S11 and auditing activity
- reviewing child deaths and conducting serious case reviews.
The SSCB was inspected by Ofsted in June 2015. The results are published in the Ofsted report on Surrey Safeguarding Children Board August 2015 (PDF).
In the wider Surrey context the SSCB has a statutory scrutiny and monitoring role in relation to the Surrey Children and Young People’s Partnership (SCYPP) and the themed partnerships working within the SCYPP and holds them to account in their work to improve outcomes for children and young people. This scrutiny function applies to the Health and Wellbeing Board and the other statutory partnerships.
SSCB Support Team: 01372 833330
SSCB Training Team: 01372 833330