Engagement with Fathers and Significant Males in Safeguarding Children
Pre-requisite: Participants must have
- Completed Foundation Modules 1 and 2
- For those with access to My Learning (SCC) please complete Awareness of Self Harm e-learning.
Target Group: The course is aimed at practitioners and managers in voluntary, independent and statutory agencies who work predominantly with children, young people and/or their parents/carers and who could contribute to assessing, planning, intervening and evaluating the needs of a child and parenting capacity where there are safeguarding concerns.
Course Aim: To increase confidence of practitioners in engaging ‘fathers’ in children’s safeguarding work; and raise and reinforce awareness of the importance of engaging ‘fathers’ to secure better outcomes for children. ‘Fathers’ = “Biological or other father-figures” (Daniel & Taylor 2001)
Learning Outcomes: By the end of the course participants will have
- An enhanced understanding/knowledge of the issues for both professionals and fathers in children’s safeguarding work
- A firmer grasp of the research/theory base on the benefits (or otherwise) for children of being ‘father-inclusive’
- An idea of the ways services and organisations could be adapted to secure better professional practice in this area
- Increased awareness of the skills, qualities, support and ‘tools’ professionals need to develop to work successfully with fathers
- A reminder that best practice has a statutory base – recent case law involving ‘parental responsibility’ and ‘engaging men’ fairly in safeguarding and other processes.
To use this booking system, you will first need to create a user account and once you have done this, you will be able to manage your own bookings, access course evaluations, certificates and access your training history.
Please note: individuals must create their own account. There is no facility for one person to create an account in their name and book places for numerous numbers of staff. If you are booking on behalf of another member of staff you need to register in their name rather than your own.