Parental Substance Misuse and its Impact on Children
Pre-requisites: Participants must have completed
- SSCB Safeguarding Foundation Module 1 and Foundation Module 2
- Training or professional development opportunity on Substance Misuse Awareness and have a basic knowledge of the most commonly misused substances and their effects. You can access a free Parental Substance Misuse e learning course via SCIE. To access this you must create a free SCIE account.
Target Group: This workshop is aimed at practitioners and managers in voluntary, independent and statutory agencies who work predominantly with children, young people and/or their parents/carers and who could contribute to assessing, planning, intervening and evaluating the needs of a child and parenting capacity where there are safeguarding concerns.
Course Aim: To provide participants with the opportunity to develop knowledge and skills for safeguarding children whose parents misuse substances.
Learning Outcomes: By the end of the course participants will have
- Discussed national and local best practice guidance including lessons from serious case reviews
- Examined their own experiences of assessing risk to children whose parents misuse substances
- Explored issues of working collaboratively with colleagues who have specialist knowledge in substance misuse
- Considered public perceptions of substance misusing parents and barriers to effective working.